Sunday, April 3, 2011

A Day Spent Canoeing

We have lived here for almost 4 years now and we did something today that we've never done before!  We went over to the marina on base and rented a canoe and went canoeing.  The kids were so nervous at first because they were afraid that there would be alligators in the water but we hadn't been out but just a few minutes when Zachary said, "this is fun!".  And then Grace chimes in, "this is so relaxing".  We rowed and looked out for wildlife and just listened to the sounds of nature.  I had packed us lunch so at one point we stopped and just drifted and ate our sandwiches.  We saw several HUGE bird nests and even saw a bird fly into one of the nest with a fish in its mouth so we knew there were babies in it.  We saw a couple of turtles sunning themselves on a log but I wasn't quick enough with the camera.  As soon as I got it out, they went into the water.  The fish were very active today; we kept seeing them jump out of the water and some were really big!  We rowed all the way down to the sandy area right off of Holcomb Blvd. and turned around there and headed back to the marina.  The wind really picked up on our way back and we were going against it so I'm sure my arms are going to be sore tomorrow from rowing.  Two of the most exciting things we saw happened on the way back.  We saw what we think were two hawks mating, or fighting, but we think mating.  They were connected and just spinning in the air around and around!  It was so neat to watch.  They finally broke apart and flew away but stayed near.  You could hear one calling to the other and then they started flying around each other again, circling one another, almost as if they were dancing.  None of us had ever seen that before.  Then right before we got back to the marina, there was another hawk just hovering in the air.  You could tell he was struggling with staying in that one spot because of the wind but he was doing it.  Then, all of a sudden, he dove head first straight down to the water as fast as he could and out he came with a fish.  It was amazing to actually see it happen right in front of us!  

It was definitely a fun day and something I'm sure we will be doing again!











He's such a poser!

3 comments:

Kimberly In Seattle said...

Aww that looks so fun! It's been a while since I was in a canoe :-)

~Erin said...

We took kayaks out once....HOLY COW...my whole upper body was sore for days AND I was fried! LOL! I'm glad y'all had a great time!

Katy said...

Fun! We did something like this when Pilot was in flight school in Milton! Thank you for visiting my blog! I'm Laura's friend-I think I have seen your son around when hanging out with her!