Thursday, February 17, 2011

Chocolat Gourmet Club

Well, today was the day.  Gourmet Club.  Remember I told you that I'm cooking this month for Gourmet Club and I was responsible for making a Wild Arugula Salad with Chocolat Stout dressing for 20 people and a Mole Dipping Sauce for 2 houses which is about 40 people.  I was in the kitchen pretty much half the day yesterday making the mole sauce.  In retrospect I made way too much but we just weren't sure.  Better to have too much than not enough right?  I started with 4 onions, 12 cloves garlic and 24 chili peppers.  It takes a long time to chop and roast 4 onions and 12 cloves of garlic and to rehydrate, stem, seed, pat dry and chop 24 chili peppers.  My number one mistake?  Not wearing gloves while working with the chili peppers.  When I made this on Monday, I was only working with 6 chili peppers and it wasn't too bad but by the time I was finished yesterday my fingers were orange and burning.  I got into bed last night and the tips of every one of my fingers were on fire.  Not to mention the one time I rubbed my eye.  Whew!  You talking about burning?  That baby burned!  And my  kitchen?  Complete disaster. I had mole sauce EVERYWHERE!  But it was all good.  I got everything made up to the point of adding the cream and the bittersweet chocolate to the mole sauce and I did that at the hosts house.

The cooks all arrived to our hosts house about 10 a.m. this morning and got to work.  Stephanie, our host, had decorated her home beautifully.  The table arrangements were gorgeous!  Luckily for me, the hardest part of my job was done.  I just had to compete the mole sauce and prepare the salads.  Our complete menu was:
Chocolate Martinis
Chocolate Sea Salt Crostini
Chicken Satay Skewers with Savory Chocolate BBQ Sauce and Mole Sauce
Roasted Parsnip and Vanilla Chocolate Soup (which was the best soup I think I have ever tasted!)
Wild Arugula Salad with Chocolate Stout Dressing
Herb Crusted Veal Roulade with Creamy Leek Sauce & Savory Chocolate Gravy
Better Than Sex Cake
Chocolate Truffles Rolled in Coconut

Doesn't everything sound and look gorgeous?







Everything went very well and we received tons of compliments on all of the food especially the soup.  It really was some of the best soup that I have ever had.  And all I can say is thank goodness it's over.  Well, at least till next month when I will be cooking again for My Big Fat Greek Wedding!

1 comment:

Stacy said...

Everything looks so beautiful! And my cake looks DELISH!!! Magga did an excellent job with it!

I definitely think this was one of the BEST ones. Stephanie's set up was just awesome! WTG Jilly!!!!