Thursday, October 7, 2010

Howdy Ya'll!

This month's OWC luncheon was all about celebrating the Wild, Wild West! And boy did we! Although it did take a little preparation for me to pull this one off. If you know me at all, you know I'm not the western wearing kinda girl but I did happen to have some boots that even though they weren't cowboy boots, they fit the part.  And fortunately for me, Target really does have everything.  I found this super cute floral western style shirt there and the best part was that it was on clearance for $8!  You can't beat that with a stick!  
Stacy picked me up and we moseyed on in and noticed right away the 'Welcome to the OWC Corral' table with our name tags.  We were a few minutes late, so as we were getting our name tags on, we listed to the "House Rules" of this special ho-down, which were:

1. You must refer to yourself in 3rd person AND by your Cowgirl name (located directly between your first and last name on your name tag).

My lovely Cowgirl name was 'Whisper'.  I kind of like it; don't you?

2: You must refer to others in 3rd person AND by her Cowgirl name.

For example: "Howdy there Halo (aka Stacy)! Would Halo kindly pass Whisper some of them there chips and salsa?"

3.  You must NOT cross your legs at any time. This includes ankles. (You'd be amazed on how hard that is when sitting in a chair. )

4. You must lift your pinkie when you pick up your glass.

5. You must turn around twice before you sit down.

6. You must say "Gitty Up" before you may rise from the table.

7. You must refer to your boy or girl as "chap" or "piece of calico".

8. You must refer to the meal as the "grub pile".

9. You must refer to the restroom as the "necessary".

10. Deployed Marines and Sailors are to be called "Suitcase Ranchers".

11. The recent rain and flooding must be referred to as the "Toad Strangler".

12. Any reference to pregnancy must be described as "wearing the bustle wrong".

To clarify, follow the rules...catch others not following the rules, which in turns means they hand you over one of their coins...continue on until a cease fire is called.

Also before going in the main 'luncheon' room, there was a 'Diggin' fer Gold' station. Everyone got a turn to dig in and search for gold coins that would come in handy later.
So...getting back to those 'rules', apparently, the organizers thought it be a real cow-licking good time to torture us poor cowpokes with a sick and twisted game meant to tongue tie, embarrass and cause general hysterics! 

At each place setting was a set of coins. These coins were going to be useful at the end of the luncheon by using them as money for an auction. But the trick was, you were able to 'acquire' more coins by catching others breaking these simple (HA!) rules...

At this point, the dinner bell has rung and we head to our tables...

So here we are yammering away at the table, trying DESPERATELY to follow the rules. Each of us referring to each other by our names and catching each other whenever we say 'I', 'You', etc... At one point a few just finally gave up and shut their mouth altogether, but not me.  My competitive side kicked in and I was loving taking their coins.

This is a quote from Stacy's blog:
"One person, I have to say did this VERY well. I don't know if it was that Southern aspect to her or not but that Whisper (Jill) could pull off the speaking in the 3rd person with a southern accent like nobody's business. It was like lick'n butter off a knife. Let's just say, at one point I was censoring myself and just handing her my coins because she was calling me out left and right!"

heee heeee heeeee!
I don't know what is up with my expression here but it's the only picture I have of me taking a coin!

At last, the dessert is served (Chocolate Mousse with strawberries on top) and it's time to tally up our coins. I ended up with over 40 coins at our table. 

Prizes were given out for the person with the most coins. Which turned out to be kinda dumb because someones birthday was that day and they gave them like 90 coins. So yeah, she won that one.
But then, they threw an auction and you could bid on various wares with the coins you had. So our table pooled our petty cash...er...coin together and I ended up bidding on and winning a very pretty ceiling fan pull cord.

After that, we reckoned it was time to pony up and head on out to the bright blue yonder to our own Covered Wagons back West.

It was one Hog-killin' Good Time!
Thanks Stacy for making this blog post so easy on me by letting me basically copy yours!

1 comment:

Emily Roe said...

haha, it looked like a good time!