Friday, September 3, 2010

Grace's First Spelling Test

Well, first of all, let me tell you that Hurricane Earl was very disappointing.  Yesterday he was a Category 4 hurricane but at some point he fizzled out to a Category 2 and even then, we didn't get hardly any rain or wind.  We went to bed last night with the anticipation that a hurricane was coming, confident that at some point the kids would wake up and come to our bed because they were scared from all the wind and rain.  Needless to say, the kids never woke up.  I think I woke up once and it was lightly raining but when we looked out this morning, there wasn't even a limb or a leaf blown into the yard.  The sun was shining and it was a gorgeous day!  Oh, and did I tell you that there was a 2 hour weather delay for the schools because of the hurricane?  Yes, there was and we got absolutely nothing!

But to get to the point of this post, Grace had her first spelling test at school today.  Now this is important because when she was at JPS, they really weren't all that concerned with spelling.  It drove me crazy but the teachers always said the same thing, "we aren't concerned with them spelling words correctly; we just want them to write and get the words on paper and for them to write them as they sound".  I didn't understand this and really still don't, but oh well.  But this year in 3rd grade, she comes home each week with a group of new spelling words that she will be tested on on Friday.  We practiced them all week and she made a 100 on her first spelling test!  We are so proud of you Grace!  Keep up the great work!

1 comment:

Steadfast Ahoy! said...

Way to go,Gracie! I love the blue nail polish. I go for red myself, but all the new colours in polish intrigue me. Cool look.
Rosemary