Thursday, September 2, 2010

At the Beach with Hurricane Earl

Stacy called me this afternoon and wanted to know if the kids and I wanted to drive out to the beach with them to check out the waves since Hurricane Earl was heading our way.  We left as soon as they got home from school and gave them strict instructions that we were there to check out the waves and for them not to play in the sand or get in the water.  Well, do you think that really happened?  Yeah, didn't think so.  I don't even know why we wasted our breath or energy in telling them.  

Oh well, we got out to the beach and parked and walked across the dunes to the sight of this...
Now, you might not think that these are very BIG waves but for North Carolina, they are.  And as you can see from the next picture, it didn't take long for the kids to get in the water.  They tried to hold their shorts up and not get wet to no avail.  All of them had soaked bottoms on the ride home.Everyone else gave up trying to keep their shorts up and dry but not Zachary.  He cracked us up!  Even though they were drenched, he still kept holding them up.  It was hysterical!Jack, Zach, Jason, Grace & CassieWe looked for shells and sand dollars thinking that the waves were probably washing up some really good ones but we didn't find anything interesting except for this water bottle that had washed ashore with these things growing on it.  We all thought it was pretty cool!
We headed back home after a little while and just as we were turning on the main rode from the beach, the MPs were there and they were closing the beach and not letting anyone else on.  Good thing we went when we did.  Good idea Stacy!

2 comments:

Steadfast Ahoy! said...

I bet there was some killer undertow going on there. I can hear the roar of the wind and waves just looking at the photos.

Stacy said...

I said it before and I'll say it again - I ROCK! ;)

BTW - I'm STILL getting sand out of my van! Stinking kids!!!