Sunday, July 11, 2010

A Day in Pensacola

Dave has a class this week in Pensacola so I thought that would be a good time for the kids and I to go and visit Mom and Dad.  I thought we could ride down to Pensacola with Dave, spend a day or two there and then head up to Mom and Dad's.  That way I would only have about 5 hours to drive by myself instead of 13! 

We headed out yesterday afternoon and drove about half-way and finished the drive today.  When we got to Pensacola, we went to visit my good friend, Janet, whom I haven't seen since we moved from Pensacola in 2005.  The final World Cup soccer game was going on so Dave was able to catch the end of that while Janet and I visited with each other.  Janet was probably the first person that I became good friends with when I moved to Pensacola in 1993 and even though we have not seen each other in years, she is still a dear friend.

Grace and Janet's daughter, Nina, hit it off and had a great time with each other!
And so did Zachary and her son, Quinn!
Janet and Jill
When we left Janet's house, we went to eat at one of our favorite restaurants, The Fish House.  We sat out back on the deck, listened to some good music and had their World-Famous Grits A Ya Ya and ohhhhh......they were so good!
After dinner, we drove out to Pensacola Beach.  We just wanted to see how much the beach had changed and also to see if we could see any oil from the oil spill on the beach.
Even though they had signs like this posted, we did not see any oil on the beach or in the water that we could tell.
But we did see a ton of manta rays!
and found lots of shells and pieces of sand dollars.
The kids loved the feel of the white Gulf Coast sand and it felt so good and familiar to be back in Pensacola.

No comments: