Friday, March 12, 2010

Golf Ball + Sand Paper = Strep Throat

First of all, let me warn you that one of the pictures below is kind of gross.  So, for the weak hearted, you may want to just stop reading now.  If you continue reading, don't say I didn't warn you.  No, it's really not that bad.

I woke up Wednesday morning with my throat and ears hurting.  I thought it was probably just allergies and sinuses and even though I really didn't feel like it, I got up and showered and went about my day as normal.  Well, when I woke up yesterday morning, I knew that it was not just allergies and sinuses.  I felt like I had a golf ball and a piece of sandpaper in my throat.  I had never had a sore throat like I had yesterday morning.  My ears hurt, my head hurt, my whole body ached.  After making arrangements for Gia to take over book club for me (thanks Gia!) and dropping the kids off at school, I came home, took a shower and went to the doctor.  Of course, I couldn't' get an appointment for that same day so they told me to come in as a walk in.  I arrived at the doctor's office at 9:50 and FINALLY got seen at 12:10.  I sat in the waiting room aching, shivering and hurting so badly.  But thank goodness I went because I was told that I had a HORRIBLE case of strep throat.  She could not get over how red and raw my throat was.  I didn't know it but body aches go along with strep throat and she said if strep went untreated, it could go to your heart and cause all kinds of damage.  

She gave me a prescription for Azithromycin and Phenergan with Codeine and sent me on my way.  I stopped by the Naval Pharmacy on my way home to drop off my prescriptions and they could only fill the antibiotic.  I left it there and came home and went to bed.  I slept ALL afternoon long.  Dave tried to get off work early to pick up the kids for me but got stuck in a meeting and wasn't able to get away.  So, a HUGE thank you to Gia again because she picked up Grace and Zachary from school and brought them to her house to hang out for awhile so I could stay in bed a bit longer.  She brought them back home about 5:00 and brought me some deeeeelish cupcakes!  Thank you so  much Gia!  What am I going to do without you when you move next month?

Dave stopped and got Chinese food for dinner and picked up my prescription on his way home.  I ate a little dinner and then crawled back in the bed while he cleaned up, bathed the kids, got them ready for bed and read them stories.  All while I slept.  Thanks honey for everything!

I feel a little better this morning but not great.  To tell you how bad I felt yesterday, I didn't even turn on the computer and for those of you who know me well, that's HUGE!  I checked facebook and email a couple of times on my iPhone but otherwise I was detached from the cyber world.  My throat still feels like it has a small golf ball in it wrapped around sandpaper and  my ears hurt but I don't have the awful body aches like I did yesterday.  Today I'm just curling up at home and taking it easy and hoping that no one else gets sick.










1 comment:

Giaellis2 said...

YIKES! Jill! I am so sorry you have strep :( I'm glad I could help out and you know I would ANYTIME!!! (thanks for the props though) :)