Friday, February 26, 2010

JPS Living Wax Musuem

For the last month and a half, Grace has been meeting with Mrs. Blanchong at school once or twice a week to work on a Living Wax Museum. Fifty students were chosen to participate in the Living Wax Museum and Grace was one of those fifty. Students were to be dressed as a character in history and make short presentations about their character. Grace had to choose a famous teacher to represent and the first person that came to my mind was Anne Sullivan. I mentioned it to Dave and he thought it was a great idea, so I told Grace a little about who Anne Sullivan was and then we got on the computer and researched her some more. Grace told Mrs. Blanchong who she had chosen and began to work at school on researching her character, learning more about her, writing down the facts, making a display board and writing her note cards. In the meantime, I was looking for clothes for Grace to wear that looked like they were from the late 1800's. It was very difficult to find anything that looked like an adult woman from the late 1800's but in a child's size. I ended up getting a long brown skirt, the top was part of a Halloween costume that I picked up at the Goodwill store and we borrowed boots from a friend.

After working very hard, the day of the Living Wax Museum had finally arrived. On Thursday, the students did their presentations from 9-11 for the JPS students and on Friday all the parents were invited to attend.

I went both days and helped set everything up. Dave actually came on Thursday to see Grace's presentation because he had to attend a memorial service on Friday. She looked beautiful and did a fabulous job on both days, despite being thrown up on before the Museum even started on Friday. Yes, that's right. A friend of hers who was also in the museum got sick and threw up all over Grace's skirt and her note cards. We cleaned her off the best we could, sprayed her with Lysol, threw away her note cards and I hurriedly made her some new ones. She was such a trooper about it all!

Grace as Anne Sullivan

Grace's friend Kristian played Helen Keller

Madison Hoover as Betsy Ross

Reagan Todd as Amelia Earhart

Jeffrey Opsitos as Alexander Graham Bell

Maria Martin as Mia Hamm

Noah as Elvis Presley

Caroline Morgan as Margaret Thatcher

Grace giving her presentation to a few of her classmates and Mrs. Snyder

Grace and Kristian

Grace giving her presentation to Dave

He was SO proud of her!

And so was I!

Friday at the Living Wax Museum

Grace and Kristian


Zachary's class didn't go see the museum so I went and got him out of class and brought him to see everyone.


Grace giving her presentation to another little friend, Owen Richwine

Grace and Owen


Video of Grace giving her presentation. It was very noisy in the multi-purpose room and I apologize for all of the background noise.

Grace's Speech:
"My name is Anne Sullivan. My mom and dad were Alice Closey and Thomas Sullivan. I was born on April 14, 1866 in Feeding Hills, Massachusetts. At age 5, the eye disease trachoma struck me leaving me almost blind. Two years later my mother dies and my father left my brother, Jimmy, and me. He died shortly after we were sent to the orphanage. After many surgeries, I got back some of my eye sight. I went to school at age 14. I graduated from Perkins School for the Blind at the age of 20. I was a teacher to an 8 year old girl named Helen Keller. Helen was blind, deaf and mute. I taught Helen using alphabet signs in the palm of her hand. After Helen's formal education, I stayed to help her. I married John Macy in 1905 and we all lived together until 1912 when John and I separated. Helen and I were friends for over 49 years. I died October 20, 1936."

1 comment:

The Lowe Family said...

Grace looks totally precious in that outfit with her hair all back. She's so professional!