Monday, November 16, 2009

I Am Not a Cook

I am not a cook. Anyone that knows me and knows me well can tell you that. I had rather eat out every meal than cook at home. Now, don't get me wrong. I LOVE a good home cooked meal. I just don't like to be the one that is doing the cooking. I cook because I have to. I don't cook anything fancy; my family eats lots of tacos, spaghetti, Bertoli in a bag (I know that's not really cooking), and then I have a few recipes out of a couple of cookbooks that I use regularly. Two things that I can cook and I do cook them well if I say so myself, are red beans and rice and banana pudding. Dave loves my red beans and rice and anyone that ever tastes my banana pudding loves it. It's the kind that your Grandmother made.....from scratch. There is no "banana pudding" in my banana pudding and it has meringue on top, not cool whip. Anyway, those are two things that I do well.

I've always loved the idea of being a good mom and my children coming into a house that smells like cookies baking or better yet, letting them help me bake the cookies. But I've never enjoyed that either. It was always just easier to do it myself than to let my kids help me bake.

I was at a birthday party yesterday and my friend, Renee, said something about making homemade chocolate chip cookies (although she calls them hemi cookies - don't ask). I said, "You know? I have never made homemade chocolate chip cookies. I wouldn't even know where to begin." And she said that she just uses the recipe on the back of the Nestle Morsels bag. Today I was in the commissary and I have no idea what came over me, but I looked in the baking isle and picked up a bag of Nestle Chocolate Morsels and looked at the recipe. And I bought the ingredients that I needed to make homemade chocolate chip cookies.

This afternoon after the kids came home from school, I helped them with their homework and then I asked them if they wanted to make cookies. Grace thought I meant the slice and bake kind because that is all she has ever seen me do. She was so surprised when I started taking out the flour, sugar and eggs. And I let them help me! They each got to break an egg and Grace helped pour the flour mixture in and Zachary poured the chocolate chips in.

And now my house smells like warm, yummy chocolate chip cookies baking and Grace and Zachary just enjoyed their first homemade chocolate chip cookie made by me with their help. Hopefully, there will be more afternoons like this and when they are older, they will remember these and think what a good Mama I was.



5 comments:

Willis Party of 6 said...

And your NOT sharing?!?!

Giaellis2 said...

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww and I love this and I am ALMOST as bad as you (with the not liking to cook and NOT ever letting the kids help thing) But look at you! I need to be "better" as well! Very inspiring :) Oh and where's mine, like Amber said............not sharing?!?! :)

The Lowe Family said...

LOVE this post, so precious :) I have a SUPER yummy choco chip cookie recipe. it's the best ever. i'll share with you!

***** said...

What a good mama you are! That's so great of you to bust out like that. Good memory maker. Do you think you'll do it again? If you do, you really should use Jessica's recipe...oh, yummy.

canscrap4u2 said...

Brownie points for you! How did I not know you hate to cook.