Saturday, May 16, 2009

Celebrity Meet and Greet

Celebrities visited service members at Camp Lemonier, Djibouti during the Hollywood Handshake Tour May 15-16, 2009. Christian Slater, Zac Levi, Joel Moore, and Kal Penn made the visit to personally thank members for their sacrifice and dedication.

"I have such a respect for the military," said Zac Levi of NBC's action series "Chuck." "To be a part of something so important, not just to our country but to the whole world, I really think it's cool."

The line to meet celebrities started forming early Friday evening inside the recreation area and concluded at 10:30 p.m. Then on Saturday morning, the celebrities set up to greet service members at a special brunch coordinated by Morale, Welfare, and Recreation (MWR) staff members.

"I didn't know exactly what to expect," said actor Christian Slater, who appreciated the large turnout. "We are grateful for the men and women who are making such incredible sacrifices, and doing such great humanitarian things." In addition to meeting with service members, celebrities also visited Douda Village, the boys and baby orphanages, and the Djibouti Cheetah Refuge.



Dave called me the night these pictures were taken and told me about the celebrities being there. He knew that I liked Christian Slater and he told him that I was a fan of his. So, that is how Christian Slater got to hold the "Hi Jill" sign. The next day, Dave had him autograph the sign for me.