Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Zachary Has Surgery to Get Tubes

Today was the big day of Zachary's surgery. He was initially scheduled for 11:30 and the nurse at the surgical center called yesterday and asked I was interested in moving him up to be the first patient, which meant we needed to be there at 6:15 this morning. I definitely said "yes" because I was concerned about how I was going to keep him from eating or drinking anything until 11:30!

So, we got up really early this morning. My Mom was still here with us thank goodness and we just got both Grace and Zachary out of bed and took them to the Surgical Center in their pajamas. We only had to wait for just a few minutes before they called us back. Grace ended up falling asleep on Mom and Zachary was such a brave big boy. The only time he was unsure of anything was when they actually were taking him to surgery and I couldn't go with him but his OR nurse, named Dave, was great with him and took him right back and had him laughing on the way.

The procedure only took about 10-15 minutes and then Dr. Milewski came and told me that he did great and he was all finished and that Zachary was in recovery. He said that his ears were filled with a thick mucous fluid and he sucked all of that out before putting the tubes in. He said we should notice an immediate difference in his hearing. The anesthesiologist came out and talked to me and said that Zachary did not make a sound when he put the mask on him to put him to sleep. He said that Zach was so easy and that he took a couple of breaths and was out. He said it was a great way to start the day!

I was able to go back to recovery a few minutes later and they gave Zachary to me. He was still asleep and kind of out of it but I just held him and talked to him. He would whimper just a little but never even really cried. When he did wake up he said that he just wanted to go home and I told him to let me put on his pajamas and we could go. He didn't want me to change him and he finally told me that he wanted the curtain to be closed around us while I changed his clothes. Once we closed the curtain, we put back on his pajamas and he was ready to go. I could already tell that he could hear better because when he was waking up, I whispered to him and he could hear me.

On the way home, we stopped at McDonald's to get breakfast. Zachary was still a little groggy but by the time we got home, he was awake and full of life and energy! He wanted my egg mcmuffin and ended up eating almost all of it. Dr. Milewski said to keep him home from school today and I thought that he would lay around most of the day but not Zach! He played all day long. I couldn't believe it!

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and prayers!


Right after surgery enjoying an egg mcmuffin

Mmmmm....good!


Grace and Nana

No comments: