Saturday, March 15, 2008

We Have a Published Author in the Family

I am so proud of Grace and am amazed at what all they do in her school. She is in kindergarten in a multi-age class of kindergartners and first graders. Each afternoon, they have writing time where they write in journals. At first it was hard for Grace but as the year has progressed, so has she. She loves to write stories and has written some very good and funny ones.

Her school, Johnson Primary School, has something called a "Writer's Cafe" and each child at some point during the year gets to write and publish a book. Grace worked on her story in her class, then went to the Writer's Cafe and worked on typing it on the computer and drawing the pictures for it. Then it is published in a bound hard back book. It is written and illustrated by the student and even has a dedication. On the last page is a picture of the author with a little paragraph about them. Twice a month, they have an Authors' Celebration where the principle presents the children with their published books in front of family and friends.

Yesterday Dave, Zachary and I were all able to go to the celebration where Grace was presented with her book and we were so proud of her!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That is my granddaughter!! Grace, I am so proud of you and I can't wait to read your book. I wonder what you wrote about but I have a pretty good idea. Keep up the good work. I love you very much. Congratulations!
Nana