Sunday, February 10, 2008

Dave is Home!

When Dave first held Grace and Zachary
Everyone is so happy!
The kids and I decorated the house with a
Welcome Home banner and scarlet and gold ribbons.

Well, as I am writing this I am sitting out on our screened in porch, feeling the wind blow and looking out over the water. The kids are outside playing with the next door neighbors and Dave is right inside working on a paper that is due for his Master's class. Yes, that's right.....Dave is home. He got home on Monday, February 4th, and for the first time that I have known of, they were early. He flew from Kuwait to Ireland and then was supposed to fly from Ireland to Maine and then to Cherry Point but because of bad weather, they flew directly in to Cherry Point. The "homecoming" was supposed to be at 12 noon and we were going to leave about 10:45 to go to Cherry Point, which is about an hour away. I was in the shower that morning and when I got out, Grace said "Mom, the phone rang." I listened to the message and it was my key volunteer saying the plane was arriving early and they were asking all wives to be at the Supply Warehouse at 9:30 a.m. It was 8:55 when I got the message. I had just gotten out of the shower, had a wet head, the kids were still in the bed and remember we live an hour away. Well, I hurried and got the kids up and we got ready as fast as we could and headed out. Dave called when we were in Swansboro which is about 15 minutes away from Camp Lejeune, asking where we were and I told him we would be there as soon as we could. We missed the guys coming in, the band and all the fanfare but it didn't matter to me. All I cared about was that he was home and oh, how good it was to see him. When Grace and Zachary saw him, they just giggled and laughed and hugged. Dave was holding Zachary and he immediately put his head on his shoulder and didn't want to raise it up. It was so sweet. They were so excited to see him and he was thrilled to see them as well.


It's been almost a week now since he has been home and life is still good. It's just nice to have your partner and best friend home to talk to and to share things with. Of course, I love having the additional help with the kids. I don't see how single parents do it. Being a single parent for 6 1/2 months was enough for me. It gets very tiring being the only parent 24/7 and never getting a break from things. We don't know where he will be working next or how long he will be home, but I'm hoping for a long, long time. In the meantime I am just going to enjoy my husband being home and love life.

3 comments:

Name: The Bryant Family said...

Hooray Hooray Hooray! In a perfect world, parents would never have to be separated from their children. I'm so glad that you are all back together. P.S. I did get the bday card (last week). It was such a nice surprise. Thank you!

Andrea Mangino Kring said...

Praise be to God! I am so happy he made it okay! I know you all slept better with him in the house that first night. What peace. God is so good and I wish you all as many sweet moments as you can handle!
Seeing those pictures just made my day! :) Welcome home Dave and Thank You for serving us!!
Lots of love,
The Kring's

canscrap4u2 said...

So glad he is home. Love the homecoming pictures. I'm sure you didn't miss much as far as the band and all...what could me more exciting than a 53 fly in anyway? When Carl came home last May, there were 4 guys from his squadron there, waving those tiny 4th of july flags..as a joke. It was about 11 oclock at night, I'd rather them stay home. The air force does NOTHING exciting for anyone.
Kelly